LASIK is one of the most widely-performed eye procedures in the world. In fact, millions of people across the globe have undergone LASIK, for a variety of reasons. Often people choose to undergo the procedure because they are simply tired of dealing with contact lenses or glasses. It can get old waking up every morning to blurry surroundings and having to fumble around for glasses. Or, perhaps you play a lot of sports and your glasses or contacts get in the way of these activities. Maybe you just don’t like how glasses look on you, and feel self-conscious about your appearance.
Working in certain types of professions can also motivate you to have LASIK surgery. If your job entails any of the following, you may want to strongly consider LASIK:
* A lot of reading or time spent on a computer. It has been found by many eye doctors that a person’s eyesight can become worse with excessive reading and/or computer work. LASIK can be a great solution for this problem.
* Extensive physical activity. For people with jobs in sports or that require a great deal of physical labor, such as construction work or landscaping, wearing glasses and contacts can be very inconvenient. LASIK helps these professionals see more clearly and more conveniently.
* Work in dry conditions. People who work in arid environments often have trouble wearing contact lenses because they dry out easily. This could be due to having to work outside in the hot sun, but if can also be an issue if your office blasts the air conditioning all day long. LASIK can help professionals in these kinds of situations, as they will no longer have the hassle of trying to keep their contact lenses moisturized.
You may be interested in LASIK for any of the reasons mentioned above, and more. Of course, some people remain in the “interested” stage for a long time, without going any further. The idea of laser eye surgery might cause you some anxiety. You may be worried about possible complications and for that reason, LASIK is something you just keep in the back of your mind as a “possibility” for someday.
We understand your concerns. We also know there are quite a few “discount” laser centers out there, which is why LASIK sometimes gets a bad rap. Many of these centers use outdated technology or offer the services of doctors who are not qualified to perform LASIK at the highest level of safety and precision.
But the fact remains, LASIK is a safe and effective option for vision correction when it is performed by an experienced, highly-trained surgeon who specializes in this procedure. Here in Dubai, the Atlanta Vision Clinic is a name you can trust. Medical director, Dr. Farooq Ashraf is one of the region’s most experienced LASIK surgeons, and has performed over 40,000 LASIK procedures.
Why choose Atlanta Vision Center?
At the Atlanta Vision Clinic, we pride ourselves on the way we conduct our practice and providing an exemplary experience for every patient. We ensure this by following three basic guidelines:
- Prior to the procedure, prospective patients will have a consultation with one of our skilled LASIK surgeons to discuss whether or not they are a good candidate, which type of procedure will suit their needs best, and the possible risks and side effects.
- We strive to use the most cutting-edge technology to perform our procedures. This is why we were one of the first clinics to offer advanced iFS IntraLASIK in Dubai and will continue to provide the most advanced technology to our patients.
- We are upfront about our costs for LASIK surgery. With prices ranging from 5000 AED to 9000 AED per eye, we want our patients to feel comfortable knowing that they will not encounter any hidden fees. We also strive to make LASIK affordable by providing payment options.
What happens during the LASIK procedure?
Besides choosing a trustworthy surgeon, another way to alleviate some anxiety about LASIK is to educate yourself about the procedure. If you know what to expect, you’ll be less nervous and more relaxed. Basically, the surgery can be broken down into five simple steps:
The first step is to come in for a free LASIK evaluation. Dr. Ashraf will examine your eyes, review your vision history, and assess your needs to develop a customized treatment plan for you. He will provide you with all of the information you need to know about the procedure, and be happy to answer any questions you may have. In addition, some paperwork will need to be filled out.
Step two is to come in for a pre-op eye exam. Typically this is done the day before your procedure. Dr. Ashraf may perform a few more tests, to ensure a complete and accurate diagnosis of your eye health and make sure there are no conditions present (such as cataracts, glaucoma, retinal problems or muscular degeneration) which could affect your results or require treatment prior to your LASIK procedure. He will remind you to wear comfortable clothing and your eye glasses (or remove your contact lenses) on surgery day.
On the day of surgery, Dr. Ashraf will first numb your eyes with anesthetic drops so that no pain or discomfort will be experienced during the procedure. It generally takes about 30 minutes for the medication to take effect. Dr. Ashraf will then use specialized equipment to create a thin, hinged flap in the cornea, before activating the LASIK laser. Next, he will use the laser to precisely reshape the cornea to improve your vision. Once that’s done, he will replace the flap on your cornea. The actual LASIK procedure generally takes about 10 minutes per eye. After a short rest in our recovery room, a family member or friend may drive you home.
Following the procedure, we suggest you take it easy for the remainder of the day to let your eyes rest and recover. We recommend patients take a nap or at least lie down and close their eyes. Avoid watching television, reading, or using the computer, tablet or smartphone. The majority of patients can return to work and resume their normal activities the next day.
The day after your LASIK surgery, you will need to come in for a quick one-day post-op exam with Dr. Ashraf. Someone will need to drive you to this exam, but afterwards you will likely be released to drive. Most patients will notice a significant improvement in their vision within 1 to 2 days after the surgery; maximum improvement may take 2 to 3 weeks.
We welcome international patients!
While we’re located in Dubai, the Atlanta Vision Clinic, gets requests for LASIK surgery from a lot of people outside of Dubai. In fact, we have improved the vision of patients from all over Europe and Asia. That’s in big part due to Dubai’s booming medical tourism industry. LASIK surgery is one of the medical services that are attracting people in need of quality medicine from all over the world.
Certainly one of the reasons Dubai’s medical tourism industry is so strong is because Dubai is already one of the world’s top tourist destinations. Dubai is a bustling urban metropolis that offers a rare combination of Western-style luxuries with the history, architecture and culture of the Middle East. And because our doctors are fluent in many other languages, there are no language barriers—which is an important factor when it comes to medical services.
Here are our top reasons to travel to Dubai for LASIK surgery:
* Amazing architecture. After your recovery period, test out your new contact and eyeglass-free vision from atop the Burj Khalifa. Also known as the world’s tallest building (and famous for its scene with Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible 4), the observation deck offers expansive views of the gorgeous city below and natural wonders beyond.
* Beautiful natural wilderness. The Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve offers a peaceful reprieve from the glitz and glamour of city life. Hike through the reserve or the Hatta Mountain, or enjoy a sandboarding adventure down the Red Dunes.
* Spectacular shopping. Known for its shopping opportunities, Dubai has plenty of shopping malls featuring haute couture, luxury and affordable brand names to satisfy your spending itch. Or, visit traditional Arabic marketplaces, called souks, where all kinds of goods — from spices to silks and pottery — are traded and sold.
* Attractions and amusement. From Dubailand and the Dubai Aquarium, to the IMG Worlds of Adventure and Aquaventure Waterpark, there are plenty of activities in the city to entertain and amuse.
* Gorgeous warm weather, year-round. During the summer season (July through September), temperatures can hover above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. During the “off” months of winter, though, temperatures remain between 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit, making it a pleasant getaway from the chilly and icy weather typical of winters in much of Europe and Asia .
While enjoying the sun and the sites in Dubai, we recommend our LASIK patients make sure to wear protective eyewear or sunglasses that will block out harmful UV rays which can damage eyes and potentially reverse the effects of the LASIK surgery.
Ready to take the next step?
If you are interested in getting LASIK surgery in Dubai, take the next step! Please look around our website to find out more about our practice. If you have any questions or would like to book a consultation with Dr. Ashraf, give us a call at 971-04-348-6233 or fill out our online contact form on our website. LASIK surgery may be just the solution you’ve been looking for. The only way you’ll know for sure is to come in for a consultation.