The right LASIK surgeon can make a huge difference in the outcome of your LASIK surgery. Experience, personalized recommendations and the use of the newest technology are all factors you should consider when choosing a LASIK surgeon.
In this post, board-certified ophthalmologist Dr. Farooq Ashraf discusses some common mistakes to avoid when picking a LASIK surgeon.
Mistake #1: A Discount LASIK Provider
Searching for the cheapest LASIK surgery providers isn’t always a wise choice for several reasons:
- The LASIK surgeon may not have an extensive track record of successful patient outcomes.
- They may be using outdated technology to cut down on costs.
- You may have a greater risk of complications and/or less desirable outcomes from your procedure.
Decide if you are comfortable risking your vision in order to spend less on LASIK. You should also be aware that some experienced, qualified LASIK providers offer payment plans or other payment options.
Mistake #2: Not Doing Your Research
Because LASIK is a life-changing procedure, it’s worth your while to do some research on your potential LASIK surgeon. Look for the following information about each LASIK surgeon you are considering:
- What do their patients say about them? A lack of patient reviews or testimonials may not be a good sign.
- Are they a board-certified ophthalmologist?
- How much of their time do they spend doing LASIK surgery, and how many years have they been in practice?
Doing this research should help you narrow down your list of LASIK surgeons. At this point, you can schedule a consultation with your top choices.
Mistake #3: Not Asking Questions
Arrive at your pre-LASIK consultation with a list of questions. Your LASIK surgeon should be able to answer all of your concerns about recovery time, risks of surgery and anything else you want to know about LASIK.
Surgical skill is important, but so is connecting with patients on a personal level. If you don’t feel confident about your choice, meet with other LASIK surgeons to see if you find a better fit.